|Zucchini, Apple, Banana and Cinnamon Cake|
I decided to go for a change of pace and do a nice cake recipe. Don’t worry – I’ll be back to the homeschooling series next post!!
This is the cake my other half requested for his birthday. As he doesn’t like icing or sweet cakes, this is my version of an almost-savoury cake that’s still dessert-like enough for a birthday. It won’t rise terribly high, but it’s a moist, almost bread-like cake with a crunchy outer shell – delicious!
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 zucchini (grated)
1 granny-smith apple (grated)
1 tsp cinnamon + extra for dusting
1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground or grated nutmeg
2 tsp icing sugar ( sifted)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup gluten-free bread mix (We use Easy Bakers Instant Oven Bread)
1 cup rice flour
250g nutalex lite
splash of olive oil
1.5 tsp baking powder
splash of rice milk
1. Preheat oven to 170-180 degrees Celsius, fan-forced.
2. Beat nutalex, olive oil and sugar together till light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat. Add vanilla and beat. Add Cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Put in grated apple and zucchini. Mash bananas and add to mixture. Stir till smooth-ish.
4. In separate bowl, mix together flour, bread mix and baking powder. Stir or sift until combined.
5. Add to wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Add in splash of rice milk if the mixture is too thick. It should pour easily.
6. Grease a cake tray with olive oil – I prefer to use cheese-cake tins as it’s easier to get the cake out afterwards.
7. Pour in batter, and smooth the top. Tap on bench to get rid of bubbles.
8. Bake for about 1 hour, 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean (keep an eye on it if you have a hot oven – it may need it’s temperature reduced).
9. When cool, sprinkle with cinnamon and icing sugar.
This cake is best on the day, but will keep for about 3-5 days in the fridge.