This is a recipe I do with and without dairy, depending on what’s in the cupboard. It’s a lovely simple white sauce base that goes well with most green vegetables (think peas, green beans, broad beans, and asparagus – though not all at once!). This recipe will be the dairy-free version, as there are countless recipes to do it the other way. This recipe very popular with my DH.
2 Dessert spoons Nutalex Lite (approx)
1 splash olive oil (any plain oil will do)
3+ Dessert spoons rice flour
1/2 – 1 chicken stock cube (we use Massel, which is vegetarian)
3/4 bag gluten free pasta (serves 2 adults and 2 kids – adjust accordingly!)
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 3cm long pieces
2 cups rice milk
A few leaves of coriander, chopped.
2 slices ham, finely chopped
small handful of sliced goat cheese ( for dairy option )
1. Put pasta on to boil. (The kettle is your friend).
2. Chop asparagus and put in another saucepan just covering it with boiling water. Boil / simmer until asparagus is just starting to soften (but not mushy).
Drain and put in a bowl to the side.
3. When pasta is ready, drain and set aside. Follow the instructions on the packet – each GF pasta seems to have it’s own instructions. Keep an eye on it – making the sauce can be tricky and the pasta can get overlooked and overcooked!
4. Heat pan again until water has evaporated, then add Nutalex. When it has melted, add a splash of oil.
5.Once oil mix it is starting to bubble, take off heat and add rice flour. Stir vigorously – it will liquify. You want it still liquid, but quite thick. Add more flour if necessary. Return to low heat and stir allowing it to cook a little for a few minutes. Careful though – the non-dairy version can burn easily.
6. Take off heat again and add the rice milk. This is the bulk of your sauce – so be generous. Stir.
7. Put back onto the heat. Now add the stock cube and (optional) goats cheese. Stir until it starts to thicken and boil.
8. Add the cracked pepper (to taste), asparagus, (optional) ham and coriander.
9. Reduce heat and let the ingredients heat through.
10. Serve with the pasta.
NB. If you’d like to try the more traditional version, substitute butter for Nutalex and oil.